Before the flight
Passengers are advised to inform themselves before the flight about baggage allowance, forbidden items and other useful information regarding their travel documentation.
Please be informed that each air carrier can have its own additional rules stipulated in general conditions of carriage; therefore, passengers are advised to read them carefully before their travel.
Liquids, Dangerous Goods, Prohibited Articles
All passengers, their hand and checked luggage have to undergo security checks before entering into security restricted areas. Security checks are performed at check points, manually, with technical devices and/or by combining both methods. The primary objective of the security check is to detect and prevent:
- Entering of forbidden objects into the restricted security area and later on into the aircraft, and
- Potential act of unlawful interferences (i.e. airplane hijacking, sabotage or attack with an explosive device).
Contact your airline or travel agent if you have any questions about what you can take on board.
Individual security check is available for passengers with limited movement abilities, with prosthesis and pacemakers, upon their request.
Devices used during the security check cannot damage passengers’ electronic devices (laptops, cameras, IPod etc) or photographic films.
Due to safety reasons, transportation of liquids in hand luggage is subject to strict regulations and scrutiny.
Liquids cannot be transported in hand luggage unless packed in individual containers/packages whose capacity does not exceed 100 ml or 100 gr, and unless they are contained in the re-sealable transparent plastic bag with a capacity of no more than 1 litre.
Transparent cosmetic bags can also be used to store liquids in the hand luggage. The content of the plastic bag has to be clear and visible, and the bag completely closed.
Liquids include: gels, pastes, lotions, liquid/solid mixtures, toothpastes, hair gels, drinks, syrups, contents of pressurised containers (shaving foams, deodorants and similar articles).
Exceptions to transportation of liquids in hand luggage
In order to accommodate specific categories of passengers and respond to their actual needs, the following exceptions to the transportation of liquids rules have been introduced:
Liquids used for medical or nutritional purposes, including baby food. The passenger has to prove that a certain liquid is used for a specific purpose upon request of the security officer;
Liquids purchased in the airport duty free stores after the boarding pass check and prior to security screening of passengers;
Liquids purchased in the airport duty free stores after the security screening of passengers;
Liquids purchased at the airport of an EU member state, being transferred to Slovenian airports, under condition that the liquid is contained in a sealed transparent bag with clear specification that the liquid was purchased on the same day and at the same departure airport;
Liquids purchased in Slovenian aircraft or an EU member state aircraft, being transferred to Slovenian airports, provided that the liquid is contained in the sealed transparent plastic bag with clear specification that the liquid was purchased in the airplane on the same day.
Passengers can also contribute to more efficient and faster security screenings. How?
- Prepare timely for the flight and inquire about the items that cannot be taken on board a flight.
- Only pack, in both hand and checked luggage, those items/things that are in compliance with the rules on liquids and dangerous goods – in order not to risk potential flight ban or seizure of luggage.
- Liquids transported in hand luggage (only in containers with capacity of 100 ml or less) have to be contained in the plastic bag as specified.
- Arrive to airport in timely manner to avoid potential delays and stress during the departure procedure.
- If you are carrying a fire arm, report it immediately to the check-in personnel.
- When preparing for the security screening of passengers and hand luggage, store metal jewellery, watches, coins and similar items in the hand luggage in order not to misplace or forget them, or place them in the plastic tray for the x-ray check.
- When preparing for security screening of passengers and hand luggage, remove the bag with the liquids from the hand luggage.
- When preparing for the security screening of passengers and hand luggage, remove the laptops and other larger electronic devices (such as gaming consoles, digital photo cameras and recording cameras) from the hand luggage and place them in the plastic tray so they can be separately checked.
- Remove your jacket and/or coat and place them in a plastic tray for a separate check.
- Be prepared to remove your belt and/or take off your shoes and to place them in the plastic tray for separate check if requested by the security officer.
- Follow other instructions given by the security officer.
Rules on hand and checked baggage allowances may differ depending on the air carrier; therefore, passengers are advised to familiarize themselves with applicable rules of each operating carrier in their itinerary.
Passengers are required to inform themselves and obtain all required travel documentation (visas etc.) prior to their travel. Inadequate travel documentation or non-compliance with entry and exit regulations of any country may result in unpleasant consequences (exclusion from a flight, refusal of entry, etc.).
Please be aware that inadequate travel documentation is considered reasonable ground to deny boarding and therefore passenger would not have a right to compensation or any other rights in accordance with Regulation (EC) 261/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 February 2004 establishing common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or long delay of flights (OJ L 46, 17.2.2004)